Monday, July 23, 2012

A Great Loss


A wanted to share with everyone an update in my life.

My family has suffered a very sad and tragic loss. My Father-n-law, Doug Roof, was in a car accident on Thursday and he did not survive.
I decided to blog about this loss because to me, he was so relevant to IPS and the IPS School Board.

Years ago Doug ran for the IPS Board, he lost to Stephen Hyatt. And at another time he interviewed to fill an empty seat between elections, and at that time Marianna Zaphiriou was chosen.

He was also my biggest supporter. I spent many, many hours and nights around the kitchen table talking to him about my goal of winning a seat. You see, we have shared a home with Doug for the last 6 years. He was a member of our immediate family. Doug was the first person to pull out his checkbook and donate to my campaign. He also worked for 10 hours the day of the election handing out my flyer. He did all this from his wheelchair.

Doug would watch every meeting. Seriously, every meeting. He would usually be waiting for me at the kitchen table to talk about what had happened, who said what, and so on.

During this difficult time I will not be blogging, attending meetings, or answering emails. I hope you all understand. There is so much to do in so little time.

Please keep us in your thoughts as we go forward with our lives.


4 comments:

  1. I am deeply sorry for you and your family in this tragic time. I hope that you all heal and mend soon, and that your lives will be enhanced by all that your father-in-law instilled in you! I know that you have done great things for this district, and that when you have healed from this loss, you will continue to make great gains for our district. I hope for the best for you and your family in your time of loss. I am truly sorry you are dealing with such a great loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I worked with Doug at the Career Corner. I never connected him to you. He was truly a caring and compassionate person especially for those who were in need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry to learn of Doug's passing. When our children were young and IPS students, we worked together on a variety of matters. He was always accessable, filled with great ideas, and fun to be around.
    Steve Hyatt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for all of your kind words.

    ReplyDelete