Saturday, June 16, 2012

Retreating on the retreat

Right now the IPS school board is having a retreat. I am sitting at home. Why?

I did go down to the Ed Center, a few minutes early to make copies of something I was presenting today. My husband was covering the home front and all the kiddo schedules. Last retreat we "tried" to talk about the difficulties those of us with kids at home have making it to an all day Saturday retreat. One of us was always coming late or leaving early or leaving in the middle and coming back. But somehow we just ended up shifting the time of the Saturdays, which really didn't help any of us. Apparent because I was the only one of the three of us there.


I mentioned that we recently held an Executive session on the board evaluation of the Superintendent. A few days ago I called the Board secretary to ask the outcome of the tallies. I was instructed to contact the board president. So I did. She told me that information would be in our Friday packets. I was frustrated that I had to wait but accepted it. Yesterday I received an email saying there would be no Friday Packet delivery, we would get our packets at the retreat.
Today, my packet held no information on the Evaluation. I asked the President, she said I will get it on Monday.
Our Board President seems to have more power than the bylaws state. That position should not be privy to information the other members do not have.

As I sat there waiting for the meeting to begin, I became more and more upset. I am so tired (really, mentally exhausted) of being treated like I don't matter and that it is ok for information to be kept from me. I thought about my kids at home and my husband, and all the running around they will have to do today. I thought about all the moments in their life I have given up to put the board first, only to be outcasted from decision making.

So I left.

I am not proud of it, and I regret that I will miss out on valuable information. However, my heart could not take the treatment for another minute.

6 comments:

  1. Since, however, one purpose of this blog ought to be to keep the public informed as to the inner workings of the IPS Board, by not attending, you've foregone that opportunity for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't disagree with you. I have missed very few meeting in two years, never a retreat. These meetings are open to the public and anyone can attend. THe opportunity is yours as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OPEN TO THE PUBLIC?? Who knew that? How can we can info on the next one? Perhaps by the next one there will be some new faces on the board.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is rather unfortunate that no one is aware these are open to the public. I will mention that it needs to be publicized. They are held in the board lounge and there are a few extra chairs. Normally people can come in and sit , but they can't speak. If a lot of people come then we would move to the board room. I will also post on my blog next time....

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of the workings of this board are despicable. The treatment you receive is not unlike the treatment of the employees of the district. That is why so many good people leave.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The next board retreat is scheduled for October 13. TIme TBA.

    ReplyDelete