Thursday, June 28, 2012

I am Sheila


I am Sheila. Let me explain why. When we (Sam, Diane, and I)were in Boston at the NSBA conference we all ended up at the same class at one point. This session focused on issues among board members. Given the state of our board we all apparently felt compelled to be there.

In the session the lecturer gave several scenarios that might cause board drama, and then we discussed handling that situation. One situation was with a board member named Sheila. SHeila stayed quiet in the meetings, never spoke up, but instead went home and blogged about it all. THe other board members were very upset with her blog and it caused friction on the board.

I have received a LOT of grief over this blog. I have been asked to take it down. I have been told I could have more say, if I didn't blog. However I find myself different from Sheila because I do speak my mind at meetings. I do share my thoughts and concerns. That got me nowhere, so I started blogging.

So in the class I raised my hand and asked, "What if Sheila also shares her thoughts in the meetings yet still chooses to blog at home?"
Needless to say there was a small uproar. This group felt that it was completely wrong to blog. I pushed back and asked why? We are elected public officials shouldn't we be encouraged to share everything that we can? And then someone in the room yells to me and says, "Oh my gosh, you're Sheila!"
I proudly turned and faced the entire room (I happened to be in the front row so the effect was great) and I shouted back "Yes I am, I am Sheila"
Needless to say at that moment I was happy to have Diane and Sam with me, because the crowd was a little scary.


After the session two people came up to me and told me they believed I was doing the right thing. One, was another younger women in her early thrities.

And the other was this guy -

He went against all my stereotypes that I had regarding the middle aged white man. He talked about how he too saw the fear of change. But he knows we have to go about things differently. We had a great discussion on the obstacles we face and the challenges ahead. ANd the courage to stand alone.
I hesitated sharing this story because I didn't want it to be used against me that this entire room thought blogging was wrong. THen I decided that it may not always be easy, and not everyone will agree, but I believe in what I am doing.



We just so happened to run into our friend later on at Cheers. He recognized the trio right away and of course me, Sheila.

7 comments:

  1. Keep blogging. I find it offensive that so many school board members are so opposed to being transparent. That is one of the major issues (of many) that I've always had with many school boards- they seem to think that they are almighty, all-powerful, know-it-alls who alone can make all the decisions, all in the privacy of their exclusive meetings, and their constituents be damned. I am much more likely to support a candidate (at any level of "politics") who is willing to be open and transparent as possible.

    This is a case where you need to remember that "what is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right." Trust me, on this issue, you are VERY MUCH in the right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have school board members who will not return phone calls, emails, text messages or voice mails. Keep us informed!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep on with it, "Sheila." First Amendment rights to Freedom of speech and press apply to everyone, including school board members.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yet further evidence that change shakes some of the "seasoned" members to the very core! Without change, how would they be able to keep up? Do they ever use a cordless phone, or even a cell phone? Have they ever gone through the drive through at a restaurant? These are changes that have occurred in their lifetime, and I'm certain, for their time, they were very controversial. They need to adapt, or crawl into their bomb-shelters!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please tell me how tonight's meeting turned out to be. I wanted to view it online, but it wasn't an option as it is during a briefing or an action session. Will you please inquire why IPS has a television department but they don't make all meetings available to the public?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your courage to do what you think is right. We need you. It is the truth
    that sets us free!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was just reviewing and saw this question. All of our meetings are on the website in a live feed. They are also on cable. If you miss these you can go to http://ipstube.ips.k12.in.us/ and few past board meeting online. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete