Tuesday, September 6, 2011

"Is there a future for Indianapolis Public Schools?" By Stephen Hyatt

This was written and sent to me by Stephen Hyatt.  Steve served on the IPS School Board from 1986-1994.  He practices law here in Indianapolis and is a graduate of Tech H.S.  His children attended IPS schools as well.   I wanted to share this on my blog, because I think Steve hit the nail on the head.  He gets it.  So, I thank him for writing it, I thank him for sharing it, and I thank him for allowing me to share it.  It needs to be read.  





It is 5:00 a.m. on Saturday morning.  I awoke at 2:45, and there was no prospect of going back to sleep.  Did the normal morning things, but the small comforts of routine didn’t help much.  I cannot shake the sick feeling.

The events of the past few days in IPS have left me with a mixture of depression, anger, sadness, and worry about the future of a way of life that I have embraced.

Here’s the thing.  In jest I have often said that “I love public education the way that nuns love the Lord”.

But the fact is, I adore the whole idea of public education.

Maybe I cling to a fantasy of something that never was.  But, I remember snippets of my early public education-- the first moment I knew I could read, the thrill of getting to wear the Indian headdress for good behavior in Mrs. Mahoney’s 3rd grade, Melba Pickett yelling “lest we forget” in the hallway (and all of us reciting by rote the preamble to the Constitution), Gray Y basketball, the community feeling of a public grade school in the 1950s.

My public high school did the best it could with me; and I think gave me a foundation upon which university, professional school, and life could build.

Ultimately, I matured, had my own family, and watched my children receive their public educations.  My expectations were that the public schools in my city would continue to deliver a quality education.  I neverfelt that they were letting me, and my children down.  My wife and I pitched in.  We were active parents and did what we could to be supportive of the schools and our children’s teachers.

By and large, I was not disappointed.  I am pleased with the adults that my children became and am secure in the belief that their public schooling contributed a great deal to their success as adults.

I harbor those same expectations for my grandchildren..  For the boys in Monticello, I am not too worried.  It looks as if the schools there are still functioning on a reassuring level.

But here in Indianapolis?

We have seen it coming and so should, I suppose, be somewhat inured to it finally happening.  But consider this:  Indianapolis Public Schools has been stripped of control of four of its schools.  IPS, its administrators, teachers and most importantly, its elected leaders, have been deemed incompetent by the State of Indiana to supply an education to thousands of children.

This is the public school system to which my parents, without a second thought,  entrusted the education of their children.  This is the school system to which my wife and I, without misgivings but with watchful eyes and helping hands, entrusted the education of our children.  This is the public school system to which I had hoped my own children would entrust the education of my grandchildren.

And the reaction of the elected leaders of the school system?  Sue the State and extend the contract of the Superintendant.

Really?

Where is the apology?  Where is the soul searching?

I do realize that there is much to criticize in the methods used by the State to brand IPS as incompetent.  Did politics play a part?  Probably.  Are there any number of other factors that come into play affecting the quality of schools?  Of course.

When you come down to it though, the fact is that there are rules, and those rules apply to all public schools.  We may not like them, but there they are and everyone knows them.  The State Department of Education didn’t manufacture data out of whole cloth.  IPS gave the Department the ammunition the Department needed in order to shoot down any thought that IPS was up to the job of providing a quality education.

IPS complains that it is stuck with educating masses of poverty stricken children, and that the plight of the children makes it more difficult to obtain great results.

That is true.  It is also true that Fort Wayne, South Bend and Evansville are urban areas with concentrations of children living in poverty.  All of their public schools remain under the control of local school leadership.

IPS complains of competition from charter schools that rob it of children and the money that follows them.  It is a valid complaint; but is, nevertheless, a self inflicted wound.

The sad fact is that IPS is in the situation that it is in because of choices its leaders continue to make—again and again.

There are bright spots in IPS.  Montessori schools, Centers for Inquiry—both options have waiting lists and produce wonderful results.  The children who attend those schools have parents who invest the time and effort necessary to assure quality public education for their children while continuing to live in Indianapolis neighborhoods.  You’ve only to talk with some of those parents to discover how pleased they are with the choices they have made.

But what else does IPS offer those moms and dads?  Where do they send their children to high school?  Howe?  Arlington?

How about Broad Ripple?  But even it has a “partner” because it isn’t deemed to be competent to run its own affairs without state help.
No, I am afraid that their simply is no good IPS choice for a caring parent.  They will choose a private or charter high school, or a public one outside the IPS district.  (Caring, informed parents know that this is now possible without extra cost)

IPS has refused to do what is necessary to attract the sort of families that it now decries that it doesn’t have.  

If further erosion of the schools is to be prevented;  IPS must accept that attracting quality students and their families has to be a priority.  Don’t tell me this is racist.  Don’t tell me that IPS must care for the least among us.

These are PUBLIC schools—open to everyone.   Why should caring families be excluded?  Why should smart kids have to look elsewhere?

No one in IPS will agree that these exclusions occur—but everyone with any experience in IPS knows that they do.  If not, IPS would not complain that an 80% poverty rate keeps it from scoring well.  It wouldn’t have an 80% poverty rate.

I do believe that all members of the IPS Board of School Commissioners and the IPS administration are caring, well meaning people.  They work hard, and they try.

But they have failed.  With thanks for their hard work and  admiration for their dedication, it is time that they be replaced.  The present school board will not make the changes necessary.  Recall that it voted to extend Eugene White’s contract as soon as it learned that its schools would be taken.  Dr. White is so wedded to his own vision that he recommended suing the State to prevent it exercising its statutory duty.  They are all well meaning, but glued to a vision that has failed and will continue to fail.

The one hope left to restore any semblance of excellence to IPS, to bring back quality public education to our neighborhoods and to restore the confidence of committed parents is wholesale change.  A new majority of the Board and a new superintendent are necessary.

And the best way to assure that is to start with the Board.  Currently, there is a 4 to 3 majority that favors Dr. White’s discredited vision.  Only one member need be replaced.

The goal for the next few months is to soberly evaluate who among the 4 is the most vulnerable and to recruit a replacement who is committed to a new vision for IPS and who has the energy and enthusiasm to run, and after election, to carry on the hard work of restoring IPS.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this post. It was clearly written by someone who has well-defined ideas for changing the culture of public education in Indianapolis. I look forward to Mr. Hyatt's analysis of the best avenues for bringing about change on the IPS board and hope he is willing to share them with the readers of this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. May I please, without the appearance of trying to promote my own blog, invite you to ready my post at:
    http://icebrc.blogspot.com/2011/09/why-teachers-quit-and-why-i-will-too.html

    I am a teacher in IPS, and I have lost faith. I will be leaving after this year, with or without the option to be re-hired. I have lost all faith in the system. Worst of all, I have lost faith in all of the systems of public education in the US. I intend to send my post to the indystar, if they choose to post, I have no fears. My name is Jim Knapp of ATHS, 5th year science teacher. I hope to teach again in the official title capacity, but I will always be a teacher whenever I find an audience to listen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael - Thanks for reading. I have a lot of respect for Mr. Hyatt, he was a student, a parent, a board member, and he continues to stay active and involved.

    Jim- Nothing wrong with promoting your blog here. I did read it, and will continue to do so. We all have a voice, and the time has come that we need to use them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been with IPS for 16 years and came here as a midlife career change, well before the Teach for America programs. The first thing I noticed was the large number of teachers my own age who were retiring, which certainly gave me pause for thought. After a few months it became obvious that they had been burned out by administrative overload and the lack of control the school system had with the students.

    I had come from private industry and worked in some comparatively high level positions. I was no stranger to managerial methods. Sad to say, IPS's managerial stance was that of the 1950's ideology; autocratic, heavy handed, top-down, and punitive. It still hasn't changed. A license in school administration does not convey knowledge of personnel management or effective communication skills. I expect to see a mass exodus of the veteran teachers taking early retirement where possible, for there is no incentive to remain and be continually pounded on. When they go, you can expect a large chunk of what is called institutional knowledge go with them. That is going to be difficult to replace, and it takes too many years for a new teacher to land on their feet. This is going to further hamper turnaround.

    I am in complete agreement with the needed turnover in the school board. To be blunt, from my observations, the best and brightest have not always been on the board. As said, give thank you's for their time and effort, and bring in new blood that has the gumption to lead and bring back the educational environment that once was IPS's hallmark.

    The time for excuses is past, Indianapolis has always had a high poverty rate and that excuse doesn't wash. The difference was that up through the Sixties the prevailimg attitude was that education could take you out of poverty. The students now feel entitled that everything is to be given to them. I've had students demand pencils and papers, telling me "that's my job". Too many students stop working and shut down if the topic seems too complex and they can't figure it out in ten seconds. Students with a 10% average in a course will ask if they can be passed anyway. The willingness to dig in and learn something is present in too few students.

    The turnaround efforts to change the hearts and minds of students such as those are truly daunting, and yet that is the crucial population to reach. However, any teacher working with that group is running a very high likelihood of being deemed an ineffective teacher and terminated, or in academic parlance; not having their contract renewed.

    The core content classes have been structured so tightly and compressed to the point of having the juice taken out of them. It isn't fun to teach them and the students take little joy in them because the pacing guides allow little enough time for creative teaching or project-based learning that can make the content become alive. Half the time the bench mark exams are not well written or even aligned properly with the pacing guides. The students think they're doing well and the next bench mark has 8 questions out of 20 as an example that were not covered or covered adequately. Small wonder the student become frustrated and give up.

    It is time for major change, and a replacement atthe top is where it needs to be done. The teachers are not incompetent; we do what we're told to or risk being charged with insubordination. Oh, yes, there are some principals out there that enjoy swinging that club.

    Good luck, and let's hope the polls are good for a progressive board for once.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When students failed a class, they are held back. When teacher did not meet senority status,they are RIF. All the above are minor. Mr.Eugine White, HR, and The Schoolboard have lost four schools to the state. Not only have they, "Left one child behind." They have failed about over 2000 students (The No Child Left Behind Act) Why are they still in their positions. Documents should have been in place as to what would happen to The Super and his board should such occur.

    Our children are more TALENTED than many think, "None of us have any idea of what we are truly capable of physiologically, psychologically or spiritually. We all sell ourselves short, and until someone can expand our horizon, we think we’re maxed out doing the most we can possibly be doing.
    The BEST way to let people know they have far more potential than they’ve tapped into is to SHARE examples of others.
    We are often listening to stories about, “80% free and reduce lunch.” This is not an excuse. Our children can learn. They have more today, than my grandparents had. IPS has truly failed our children. We need some changes now.


    The problem with waiting until tomorrow is that when it finally arrives, it is called today. Today is yesterday’s tomorrow. The question is what did we do with its OPPORTUNITY? - Jim Rohn

    WE are products of your environment. So lets choose the environment that will best develop our children toward a better objectives. Lets Analyze our lives in terms of its environment.

    The present people in place are not helping toward the LIFE our children DESERVE. They are holding them back
    Check out our prisons. 80% of them are products of IPS. How has IPS failed?

    “Only as high as I REACH can I grow, only as far as I SEEK can I go, only as deep as I look can I see, only as much as I DREAM can I be.” - Karen Ravn

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Mr. Hyatt. The state DOE is incompetent and harsh and very misguided in their direction, but they are following the lead of policy makers across the country. However, Dr. White and his minions need to go. The School Board needs to be changed as well. The culture of IPS has been poisonous for years, but has become worse and worse under White. You cannot mistreat teachers and expect them to do a good job. I would post under my name, but I hope to do some work with IPS schools and don't trust White and his associates not to be vindictive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you to everyone who posted a comment. It is all very insightful.

    ReplyDelete