Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Could I offer you a piece of humble pie?

 I knew there would be an article about IPS in the paper today, however I was shocked to see the title of that article,


Superintendent White jabs back at takeovers of IPS schools

I was more surprised to hear about the Superintendent's thoughts on these programs for the first time.  It would have been happy to hear it from him first.  I have a lot of thoughts on this article, but unfortunately that's the only information I have to go on. 

Here's what is concerning to me.
"The district's decision on special programs was met with swift criticism by state Superintendent of Public Instruction Tony Bennett, who said IPS was being anything but cooperative."
Ok, so we need to change the way we are doing things.  This is where the humble pie comes to the table.  Eat it and shut it.  If this type of relationship continues it will be a lose - lose for EVERYONE.   Not only am I a grad, parent, and board member, but this is my city.  Schools are one of the reasons my friends and neighbors have left this city.  This arguing has got to stop.

""We think we have some of the most unique and highly successful schools around," White said."  Yep.  So do I.  But so what?  It's not enough.  Unless all of our students can attend those schools, then it's not enough.  As long as we have students on waiting lists to get into those schools, it is not enough.  As long as good families leave IPS ( my friend did just today) because they can't wait on that list another day in the boundary school they are in, then guess what?  IT"S NOT ENOUGH!

" the district will not fund such programs once those schools are turned over by the state to private operators."
I guess this is where I would have really liked to talk to the Superintendent and ask some questions.  Because if all of the story is printed, then I agree......mostly.  I am not sure we should remove anything from those schools that they use in their curriculum.  However, I don't see why IPS should foot the bill for sports or other extracurricular activities.  Again, this could have been a great discussion.


"The IPS board gave its blessing last month for the district to sue, but White said he had a change of heart."
Two things here.  One- I wouldn't call a 4-3 vote a blessing.  But, whatever.  As one of those who voted against - part of me wanted to jump on my chair  and yell, "I told you so."  No one would have heard me, but it would have made me feel better for about 30 seconds.  Until I calmed down and realized there is no gain in feeling like I was right.  The gain comes by knowing we won't waste a TON of money on litigation.  And regardless of what was said at the Action Session about it not costing IPS anything, I knew it would. 

So, where do we go from here?  Well, forward it the best way to go.  IPS should try and take a few steps forward, and dare I say we walk humbly. 


13 comments:

  1. Just a quick, stupid question - if the Board "gave their blessing" and voted 4-3 to sue, wouldn't the Board have to re-vote to decide not to sue? You and I both know it wouldn't make a difference because he would have those votes (might be one vote that was finally unanimous) but it should have been voted on, noe the less. Actually the more I think about it - that would make a huge statement...a 4-3 vote to sue, WHite changes his mond and then a 7-0 vote not to sue...hummm Laughing at this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie- Were you a fly on the wall at our meeting tonight? Let's just say three board members see the logic behind that argument and are pushing for a re-vote. I can't say what the other four feel, as one was not present, and the others were fairly mute on the whole thing.
    Also, it opens up a very scary situation. If the board approves something, then it needs to be done. If not, then our vote has lost it's power.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting.....would love to dig deeper on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annie, I received some information on the health insurance for next year. Everything is going up and the coverage is going down. The strange thing is they would not give pricing out. I already pay $5461 per year. Do you know what's going on and if other insurance plans were looked at. The morale in my area is as low it ever has been, and this just makes it worse.

    Also your blog must be x-rated, illegal, or racist. IPS is blocking it.

    Thank you for your hard work on the board.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I checked the blog, and it isn't blocked. Are you sure?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also, I am not ignoring your questions about the insurance. We received this information last weekend. It's a tough situation with the insurance, as the prices keep going up. Let me review our papers again and comment more soon. Busy night tonight, Board Meeting.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mistake. The main page is not blocked but the page where you comment is. I was trying to open that part and thought it was blocking the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow,insurance without much coverage,just what we need right now. What morale builders we have in this system. Make people use up vacations when they don't want to,get our schools taken over by the state and don't know if they'll have a job, and now this great insuance plan. Hope some day we get some leaders who know how to lead and make people want to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Annie, were you able to find out any more information on the health insurance for next year. It's very odd that they will not give pricing. We are even having our 125 plan signup before we know what insurance will cost. The way they are doing things this year is so disheartening.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry I didn't reply sooner. In no way am I an authority on insurance. It was explained to me that there will be two options. And HSA and a regular plan. I actually like the HSA plans, we used to have that under my husband, it took some getting used to but I liked it.
    And these may have changed since they were given to me. I am happy to share, but again, I am not the insurance person.
    Looks like this...the traditional HMO is on left, HSA is on right.
    Employee: 1539.04 417.76
    Employees and child(ren) 3457.68 1742.40
    Employee and spouse 4639.12 2335.72
    Employee and Family 4947.80 2485.04

    I encourage you to go to the meetings and ask a lot of questions.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Also, you have to sign up BEFORE You see the final cost??????

    ReplyDelete
  12. One more thing, insurance woes aren't specific to IPS. I believe IPS contributes quite a bit, and tries to make this the best option for the employees.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I also agree that IPS does give alot towards our insurance. I just hope there looking into all options. I wish they were more open about things. The way there doing it makes you think there hiding something. Thank you for responding and your work on the board.

    ReplyDelete