Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Anything Goes

I have so much to blog about but I will start with the meeting last night with Indiana Superintendent of schools Tony Bennett.  This meeting was set up for the IPS school Board to speak with Dr. Bennett about the 6 schools that remain on the takeover list.  Not all six schools will necesarily be "taken over" but all 6 will have intervention of some kind.
Tony Bennett rightly criticized the IPS school board in his opening comments.   He used words such as "disheartened" and "frustrating" when he shared his feelings on the board waiting until August 8th to hold this meeting, just a few weeks away from his proposal to the state board.  Dr. Bennett went into a few details about other school boards and how they reached out to him early on, and became integrated into this process.  We did not. 
The main points of the discussion were Dr. White saying the state should not count the 7th and 8th graders test scores  at the community H.S.'s because  they lowered the overall results of the high school students.  If removed the high schools would have made it off probation.  Tony Bennett countered with the argument that if Dr. White believed this to be the case, why is he waiting until this moment, the last minute, to appeal that formula.  Why not bring this up 2 years ago or 6 years ago.   Also there are 144 other community schools that follow the same criteria and they are not on the failing list.
The IPS Board members asked questions throughout the meeting.  Some very good questions, and some....other questions.   Near the end of the meeting I shared some thoughts.  I thought the public should know that a few of the board members were interested in meeting with Dr. Bennett months ago.  However the majority of the board wouldn't support it.  I told Tony Bennett that should not be an excuse. I'm not sure how people took what I said, but I meant it should have not been an excuse for me to stop trying.  Nothing prevented me from picking up the phone and calling Dr. Bennett myself.  He is a very approachable person.  But I didn't do it.  I admitted last night that I was embarrassed, ashamed, and sorry. 
That statement from me caused some issues.   I was told I threw the other board members under the bus.  I was told I was unprofessional.  I was told I was an embarrassment.  The fact is, none of that is true.  I told the truth and they don't like it.  Those board members made the decision to not meet with Dr. Bennett.  I didn't make it for them, I just informed the public.  I believe the public has a right to know.  I also admitted that I was wrong as well.
So what now?  Dr. White has appealed to the State Board regarding the 7th and 8th graders result.  We should hear back from that in two weeks.  Also the meeting that the state board will take a vote on our 6 years will be on August 29 and August 30 at 9am. 


2 comments:

  1. Is there a reason Donnan seems to be ostracized by the district? That school made Safe Harbor for 2010 & was told they were not in danger to the point that the principal was not invited to the Turnaround meetings, but felt blindsided second semester of last year to be on the Turnaround list. There have been so many positive things about Donnan, but only the negative is told. I feel for the teachers working so hard & are afraid it will not be enough to save this school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. According to a McKinsey study, countries with the highest results on international tests, shows that the teacher turnover rates are much lower.
    This constant cycling in and out of teachers is a costly phenomena. It is nonproductive. Students need stability and reinforcement from prior educators.Students miss the influence; and being taught by experienced educators.

    ReplyDelete