Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Election Results


The results are coming in.  And I like what they are saying.  Change.

I have called all three candidates and wished the congrats.  But I have to point out that in my district I was very impressed with the race.  I thought they all did a good job and represented this neighborhood very well.  Caitlin Hannon won for my district, District 1.  I look forward to working with Sam Odle, At Large.  And I am really pleased that Gayle Cosby has won the seat for District 2.  Beating an incumbent by that large of a margin speaks volumes to what the voters want.


So what do the results mean to me?  The first thing on my mind is harmony.  I suddenly feel at peace.  I like the idea of sitting in a room with people that can stand one another.  I am not pointing fingers right now.  Whatever the reason we got to this point, we got to this point.  And it's just the truth.


There's lots of talk of what is going to change and how it will happen.

Things I would love to see of IPS in the next few years.....kind of like a wish list.....


1) My personal goal of removing flavored milks from the school menu, along with most the colored dyes in the food.

2) Putting instruments in the hands of all children by 3rd grade.

3) Saying goodbye to 120 Walnut as it stands today.

4) Putting power into the hands of the principals to hire their own staff.

5) Taking Board Meetings into our neighborhoods.

6) Starting the money at the school level.

7) Letting members of the public have the availability to speak at our meetings by signing up at that moment.

8) Having a separate Board Attorney to negotiate for us and advise us.



I look forward to what the future holds.  I welcome all the new members of the IPS School Board.  I look forward to hearing their ideas and working together to create the best IPS for our students and this city.  I really think this is the beginning of a lot of hard work, that can and will pay off.










12 comments:

  1. I would love to discuss your idea of instruments for all. I am a music teacher at school 99, an A school. I have some concerns about how we would pay for it, but it's an intriguing idea. We have some successes, and some struggles. You are welcome to visit us any time to see what we do...

    ReplyDelete
  2. May I ask that the current programs get the instruments they so desperately need first and then make sure all others get them? I am aware that Longfellow has only gotten the band instruments in the past two weeks, and still have no string instruments, although we are more than 1/4 into the school year. John Marshall has 6 band classes, but only enough instruments for one class. I fully agree with your desire and back you on your quest. I only ask that the board look at getting instruments to existing programs/schools before expanding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew- I would love to talk. Anytime. My email is on IPS Board page. If you want my home email, just let me know.
    Anonymous- absolutely! I know we are not providing adequate instruments. It is really sad. Our budget is so low for instruments. It really is a passion of mine. I wish more people would feel safe contacting me regarding these things. I will look into it, and I will keep anyone confidential. You are so right though, we have to get existing programs up to parr and them expand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm an "outsider," but I wonder if this instrument problem is being publicized enough to the general public. In more affluent areas, I know people have instruments stored in garages and attics that will never be used again. If some kind of program could be set up where people could get a tax deduction for donating them, that might help. I'm a senior citizen and I hate to think that these kids don't get to enjoy the fun of playing music that I had when I was their ages.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Outsider- First of all, if you live in this city, you are not an outsider. THere was an article a few weeks back regarding the instruments. The head of the music department even admitted that our instruments are in bad shape. Later that week when brought up at a board meeting, the board was told that person misspoke. Everything was fine. However, when out budget for instruments is $35,000 a year our instruments are going to be in poor shape. This is the budget for NEW and REPAIRS. It averages out to $1.18 per student, per year. If people want to donate instruments, that would be awesome. My frustration is I know where the money is going. The money is there for these children. But it is going to adults with deep pockets.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really hope you succeed at #2 and 4. What do you mean by #6? I don't think the problem is where the money starts, its how the money is spent. Moving money to the schools could be very costly. Better to focus on making the spending more efficient.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being efficient is one thing. But I am simply talking about covering the basics at the schools first in the budget, then working with what is left over. There is no excuse for copy paper being on the school supply list for my kids. No excuse at all. If I add to the list I would add a school nurse at EVERY school. That is an example of putting the money at the schools.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am saddened that after you were given accurate information on the state of instruments in IPS you were then told that the information was mispoken. There are instruments that were purchased in the early 1970s still active and being used in IPS schools today because of the care George Nicoloff has taken to keep them working. That means there are instruments around 40 years old being used when the suggested life of a school-owned instrument is 15-20 years. Just as George is a miracle worker with the band instruments, Nadine has been the god send for the string instruments in IPS. She repairs as much as she can as quickly as she can, but I'm curious as to when any new string instruments have been purchased to help ease the need in this district. So many kids find their way through school and have a reason to continue with their education because of various activities, including the instrumental programs, so I would hate to see any child be denied the experience unnecessarily.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have heard about the wonders George can do. I have never met him, but I really should. Children are being denied the opportunity to play. In my own daughter's school I had to supply her with an instrument. I was told since we weren't on free and reduced lunch that IPS would not provide her with a violin. So I did. After a year of playing, and me renting a violin, they shut down the strings program. Then she was originally told that if she wanted to switch to band she would need a year of private lessons first. We got that worked out, but I often wonder. Is it because I have the time to fight these issues, is it because I am a board member? What about other parents? Parents that work and don't have time? Parents that don't speak English? THe only money outside that small amount of $35,000 coming in for new instruments is money through grants. You know the Board approved a raise for someone a few months back for $25,000. A raise. But no one wants to talk about putting more money into our instruments.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do you know when the next Board retreat is?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Annie: Your 11/10 comment is spot on. Sent you message. -- JW

    ReplyDelete
  12. The next board retreat is on Nov. 29th from 3-?

    ReplyDelete