Sunday, October 14, 2012

Spacey Decisions


On Tuesday October 23 we will be voting on the decision to move the Broad Ripple Planetarium to Tech.

I will be voting against this plan for several reasons.


1) I don't trust how this agenda item got snuck into the agenda for approval.

2) I don't like how we treat our families. We insist that parental support is needed to success. However, when the parents want a voice in what happens at their school and in their community we look at them like a pain in the ass. THis community has been ignored and therefore many of the children in the area do not attend BRHS. They leave IPS altogether.

3) This is a lot of money. I have yet to be given the amount we have available in the Capital Funds.

4) Most importantly. After a small amount of research I have spoken to several professionals in planetariums and have serious concerns with this plan.

5) There is no plan for the empty space being left at BR. There is however a promise
that they will have something built for them. In three years. Who is going to keep this promise three years from now? There is a possibility that NO ONE on that board will be there in three years. Considering the Superintendent was job hunting not that long ago, he may not be there either. To me, it's an empty promise.



I am not against Tech getting a planetarium of their own. But we just shouldn't be building it based on one teacher. We should make it a goal, make a plan, then work to get that. Not decided on a whim. It just doesn't make any sense.

3 comments:

  1. I agree that Tech, who for years has been known for the math science magnet should have a planetarium, but why rob Peter to pay Paul? They say the Broad Ripple planetarium wasn't utilized. That sounds like a personal problem. If you have it, use it! Let both schools have a planetarium. It's unreal the ignorant plans you hear from IPS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. You can't blame 3rd graders for not using the planetarium.

      Delete
  2. I agree with "robbing Peter to pay Paul". I worked at Broad Ripple for several years. When I first arrived, the planetarium was a thriving program, but sadly it faded over the years. I went to Mrs. Bogard several times regarding the fading planetarium. She simply explained that space exploration was no longer a "big thing" and dismissed the concerns brought to her by me and other staff members. Mr. Papesh, our Principal also decided it was not a concern, and that if students weren't interested, we cannot push them. I don't agree whatsoever! They never promoted the planetarium to our students. If they had promoted the planetarium, it would have been a success! I disagree that only the elementary schools had an interest in the program. I truly believe that if IPS would put forth an effort, Broad Ripple's planetarium would be as great as it always was!!

    ReplyDelete