Monday, January 30, 2012

Change is coming

Lots of things going on in IPS right now.

Quite honestly we have had some very good productive meetings lately.  There's no easy way to blog about it all, so I am separating it by topics.

Superbowl-  We have had a lot of discussion regarding busing and parking and traffic.  I hope schools downtown take advantage of this opportunity to raise funds by charging for parking on game day and weekend events.  Dr. White stated 50% goes to the school and 50% to IPS corporate.  My first reaction to this was, "uh.....what?"  However when he explained that IPS holds all liability if something goes wrong, it then made sense to me.

Takeover - We had a meeting with Tony Bennett regarding the current schools in takeover, the ones with lead partners, and the only school on the list for next year, which is John Marshall.  I think that meeting was a very open and honest discussion.  I am thankful for Dr. Bennett for always being willing to attend such meetings.  Also in attendance were Jim Larson, Director of School Improvement and Turnaround and Dale Chu, assistant Supt. for Policy, Legal and Communications Operations.  I have met Dale previously, he has a wealth of knowledge.  And  I really like Jim, he has a great way of explaining things and making sure everyone understands.  Dr. Bennett did state that Dr. White has been very cooperative in this process, event though the media has portrayed him to be less than easy to deal with.  However, there were concerns about other IPS employees not being helpful to the process.  Overall, it was a good meeting and I hope we can work out hte kinks that are still up in the air.

Administrators - The board had to vote on a list of administrators to receive letters notifying them of termination.  I did not oppose this plan, because I know that hard decisions will have to be made soon.  Once a certain date has passed we can no longer notify individuals. Not everyone on the list is a guaranteed termination.  There are some of the list I feel very strong about, meaning I don't want to see them go.  Needing more discussion on the matter the Superintendent offered to hold an Executive Session regarding these employees.  This will be a time that we can ask specifics and really understand why these individuals were placed on the list. 

Manual - I visited Manual the other day.  In a way, I  can really empathize with the staff and students that are in the takeover schools this year.  Howe closed after I graduated, and I remember the disruption it had in all of our lives.  Everything seemed to be going well at Manual.  I stood in the halls during passing period and was pleased with the students behaviors.  The principal took time with me and answered some questions.  I visited with the wonderful parent liaison, Les Martin, whom I met last year at Emma Donnan.  The artwork on the walls were more than impressive.  And I visited the choir room.  Probably my favorite place to visit in a school because that is where I belonged.  I had a wonderful visit and I thank the staff for welcoming me.


I know there is more to update you with, I will try and do a better job of keeping the blog updated.
On the schedule this week is our Education Committee Meeting on Thursday Feb. 2nd beginning at 5:30.  All of our Committee meetings are open to the public.  The following week we have our Legislative meeting on Monday Feb. 6th at 5:30.

6 comments:

  1. Mrs. Roof,

    Is there a way you can address the demoralizing way Dr. White's assistant deals with the public? It seems he has one nice assistant and a very rude assistant, Sandy. I cannot remember the name of the professional lady who goes above the call to help, and for that I feel terrible. Sadly, like most others, I only remember the name of the bad experience, Sandy. Please let me know how I can give Dr. White indication that his assistant Sandy is completely wrong for the face of his office. I am sorry if this is the wrong way to address this issue. I tried to get Dr. White's email address, and Sandy told me that she will not give his email address to the public and gives her own email to callers. I believe this is her way of screening the true issues that need to be addressed by Dr. White.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to ask why Mr. Huggins is on the list when Mr. Moore clearly should be the transportation "hit man". He is worthless while Mr. Huggins is the contact who makes a true difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course Manual seems to be doing well. Honestly, though...you want to really have an idea of what Manual is like, perhaps you should meet with the teachers and have a frank discussion with them. Faces and farces can always be put up for appearances.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To the first comment- i did address this concern, thank you for sharing it.
    THe second comment- I want to respond to this, however I do not want to do so publicly.
    Third- I would love to meet with teachers. I promise to keep anyone confidential who wants to speak with me, and be as frank as they want. i do feel they need to come to me, I don't want to start asking teachers to meet with me. But my door is always open.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree completely with the comments above! The nice girl is Rene. She worked many years ago at Manual. She was the glue that held that office together. Talk about disfunction - Manual has it! There were a handful of teachers at Manual back in the early 2000's that truly worked one on one with the students, but current Principal, Owens let the great ones go. Anyone that had Tully's respect were given the hatchet by Owens!

    As for Poster #2 - I believe everyone agrees with you there. Mr. Huggins is the true reason that transportation has not been a failure the last two years, and does get results. Moore is an absolute moron and does nothing to make things efficient, nor does he do anything to get results after his initial implementations fail!

    As for poster #3. Again- as a parent of a Manual 2005 Grad, I cannot speak for the current staff. When Principal Owens took over the school, I moved my children in with their father to attend Perry Meridian, where they will graduate. I loved Mr. Poole, felt a bit comfortable with Mr. Grismore but feel absolutely nothing but disdain with Principal Owens and her boyfriend, VP Smith. The other staff seem to be oblivious to the true nees of the students according to my friends, and parents of my son and daughters friends.

    I want IPS to succeed. I believe that IPS one day will succeed. However, I don't think that the politicians of our state or city will make that happen. Nor do I think that Ms. Owens and her "Insane Clown Posse" will make it happen. I know first hand that most of the students of Manual do not have true parental support.

    It is such a shame that parents now allow the children to be the rulers of the home. This is where most of the problem lies...

    ReplyDelete
  6. THank you for all this insight!

    ReplyDelete