Saturday, April 30, 2011

True to Myself

I never thought I would be the person who gets caught up in feeling so important that I forget why I wanted to be on the school board.  I want to be the person that connects with our parents and the public.  Now, I am not saying other people can't be the same way, this is just my goal for myself. 
I try to remain level headed and grounded.  I do this a few different ways. 
At public, neighborhood meetings I choose to not sit by the other Board members.  Nothing personal really.  But I find I get much more out of the meeting if I do this.  Most people don't know who I am, and I don't expect them to.  So I hear their comments.  Their true, uncensored comments. 
Lately I have been sitting in the Board Room before the meeting starts.  Not in my chair, but on the main floor with everyone else.  I feel their excitement if their child is getting a recognition.  I also remember how I felt as a nervous parent getting ready to speak.  And I also see how far away we, the board members, are from the very people we represent.  Getting closer was a goal of mine from the beginning, yet I haven't gotten very far.  Change can be very hard for some people. 
Anyway, I write this because I recently received an email that made me feel like I am actually getting it right.  That I am reaching people who otherwise wouldn't of been reached.   So tonight, I sleep well.

No comments:

Post a Comment