Saturday, March 31, 2012

Once a Hoosier....

The last few weeks there have been several articles, blogs, tweets, and postings regarding Dr. White and his job search. During that time I kept quiet.
Now, I feel is the appropriate time to share my thoughts.


On February 24th the board held the retreat. The last item on the agenda was, "Superintendents Status". Of course this made me curious. When we got to this item, Dr. White closed the meeting, and did not discuss it. I can only assume this wasn't discussed because Scott Elliott, from the Indianapolis Star, was present.

Time went on and I sent an email asking if this was an item that still needed discussed. It was. And a meeting was scheduled. And the meeting was canceled. I sent another email. In this email I stated that apparently several board members are already aware of what is going on, and all of us should be informed.

Dr. White wanted to tell the Board members individually and in person. Time was against him, and I was at the bottom of the list. What most people don't know, is that he did talk to us about these two positions, and we heard it from him before the media got wind of it. I thank him for that.

I don't think Dr. White was wrong to look into other options. I have no issue with this. In fact, I thought it was his business and that's why I chose to make no comment until decisions have been made. Until I, as a board member, knew what would happen it didn't really concern me. Obviously if he left the district, that would have a huge impact on my job. If he stayed, I would have to wonder what that would mean as well. I am eager to get back to focusing on IPS and what we can do now. Time was definitely lost this month, and we can't afford anymore time.

So, what now? I would like to say the board will get together and have an open conversation. Are there concerns with Dr. White's commitment to IPS? Does he have the passion and drive to lead us where we need to go? Is he willing to accept the ideas and suggestions from others? However, this discussion will never take place.

November will bring the school board election. Four members will have to run a good campaign to keep their seats.

The status quo can not remain the same if change is to happen. And change must happen. If Dr. White is to stay in IPS, then really, truly the board needs to change. There's no nice way to say it. It is simply a must.

No comments:

Post a Comment