Saturday, July 23, 2011

Some like it hot, somelike it not!

A few days ago the board met in a Design Overview meeting.  At this meeting we discussed renovations at various schools.   We are able to tour several of these newly renovated schools on August 3rd, traveling by bus.  I suggested that we ride in a non-air-conditioned bus.  This is just 5 days before school starts and 70% of our students will be riding on these buses.  I am concerned for the safety of our students in this crazy heat.  By riding the bus ourselves we can access if this is manageable, what steps need to be taken to make the ride more comfortable, and how hot does it really get.   I barely got the entire thought out before a board member stated she would drive herself if we had to ride without A.C.  I am not going to mention names, but 4 board members refused the idea.
I want to remind everyone, these just aren't your kids on these buses, they are mine too.  I have a fair skinned little red-head that gets heat exhaustion quicker than we can catch it.  I want to see how bad it really will be.  But 4 board members feel they are too good to be placed in that situation.  The same situation they feel is ok to place your child, my child in on a daily basis.  There is something that really gets me about the fact that none of the board members that refused have small children anymore.  In fact, one has never had children.  So I guess they have no real reason to care.  To say the least, I'm a little hot about it.  :)

6 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you for seeing things through the eyes, ears, and feelings of our students. These children are little adults in the making. Let your co-workers know that these little children are growing up to become adults. Kindly treat them as such.
    Good Job Annie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a strong and courageous woman and a credit to an otherwise puppetlike school board. We need more citizens like you to step up and defeat those who rubber stamp everything that comes before them. I have been to some board meetings in the past, and I think some members struggle to ask any kind of meaningful question and certainly never question Dr. White's recommendations. But they do manage to utter a few words, for the record, like "I was at such and such a school the other day and it was so wonderful to see...." There are serious issues they are charged with judging and we as citizens need the board members to question, scrutinize and demand answers. Pay raises during economic hardships? Really? Moving ineffective admin to other schools? Really? Keep fighting Annie! We need more like you. And thanks for being a strong woman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THanks for the words of encouragement.

    ReplyDelete